New Voices Pittsburgh: Women of Color for Reproductive Justice and friends are excited to join 207 countries around the world in participating in a global day of action to end violence against women, transwomen, genderqueer and gender non-conforming people. Rise with us on February 14, 2014 for One Billion Rising BEEN Rising for Justice Pittsburgh!
Will you join us for an energetic, colorful, dancing demonstration to celebrate women’s right for peace, dignity and lives free from violence?
Friday, February 14, 2014 | 12noon – 3pm | DoubleTree Hotel Downtown Pittsburgh ***NEW LOCATION***
More information on the program the day of coming soon. DJ’s, Dancers, Poetic and Political Speakers!
ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME.
ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY
ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION
One Billion Rising Short Film *Trigger Warning*
On V-Day’s 16th Anniversary, 2.14.14, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence.
ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. V-Day wants the world to see our collective strength, our numbers, and our solidarity across borders.
What does ONE BILLION look like? On February 14th, 2014, it will look like a REVOLUTION.
ONE BILLION RISING IS:
A global strike An invitation to dance A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given A new time and a new way of being
What we want to see: costumes, colors, signs, flashmobs, puppets, your organization or group raising awareness about what you are working on that effects women in Pittsburgh, spontaneous performances, stilts, you
What we want to hear: music, drums, chants of resistance and liberation, poems, your voice
WAYS TO RISE IN PITTSBURGH
- Leave your work. Leave your school Call in sick. Grab a long lunch. Walk Out. Ask your mom to help get you out of school. Ask your daughter to pick you up from work. Take the bus with your neighbor. Interrupt the day, dance, demand an end to violence.
- Make February 14, 2014 a “day of action” by organizing your friends or colleagues to volunteer at local women’s shelters or service centers – promote your plan on the 1BBR Facebook page and across your own social networks.
- Promote the event to your networks, tumblr, Facebook, Blog, Twitter
- Come to the Neighborhood Print Shop at the Braddock Carnegie Library and help create posters for the event (ask us for details)
- Endorse the event. Get your organization to sign up on the website! And then continue to organize your group to participate
- Start planning with your friends, a way to participate
- Support young women to attend. Help them get to the event or take off school or organize their own efforts.
- Volunteer with One Billion BEEN Rising for Justice Pittsburgh
- Upload a youtube video about why you are rising (coming soon)
- Join a carpool
Consider the impact of your rising. What mark can you and those who rise with you leave behind in your community? Organize to change a law, get more funding for women’s programs, or model new non-violent ways of being in your city, office, or college.
With Liberation in Our Hearts,
One Billion BEEN Rising for Justice Pittsburgh