New Voices Pittsburgh: Women of Color for Reproductive Justice and friends are excited to join 182 countries around the world in participating in a global day of action to end violence against women, transwomen, genderqueer and gender non-conforming people.
Will you join us for an energetic, colorful, dancing demonstration to celebrate women’s right for peace, dignity and lives free from violence?
February 14, 2013 12pm – 2pm Market Square
ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME.
ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY
ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION
One Billion Rising Short Film *Trigger Warning*
On V-Day’s 15th Anniversary, 2.14.13, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence.
ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. V-Day wants the world to see our collective strength, our numbers, and our solidarity across borders.
What does ONE BILLION look like? On February 14th, 2013, it will look like a REVOLUTION.
ONE BILLION RISING IS:
A global strike An invitation to dance A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given A new time and a new way of being
What we want to see: costumes, colors, signs, flashmobs, puppets, your organization or group raising awareness about what you are working on that effects women in Pittsburgh, spontaneous performances, stilts, you
What we want to hear: music, drums, chants of resistance and liberation, poems, your voice
WAYS TO RISE IN PITTSBURGH
- It is February 14, 1012. Leave your work. Leave your school Call in sick. Grab a long lunch. Walk Out. Ask your mom to help get you out of school. Ask your daughter to pick you up from work. Take the bus with your neighbor. Interrupt the day, dance, demand an end to violence.
- Make February 14, 2013 a “day of action” by organizing your friends or colleagues to volunteer at local women’s shelters or service centers – promote your plan on the OBR Facebook page and across your own social networks.
- Promote the event to your networks, tumblr, Facebook, Blog, Twitter
- Come to the Neighborhood Print Shop at the Braddock Carnegie Library and help create posters for the event (ask us for details)
- Get your local business and neighborhood community spaces to display the “We Support One Billion Rising” Sign. Signs will be available after December 15th.
- Endorse the event. Get your organization to sign up on the website! And then continue to organize your group to participate
- Start planning with your friends, a way to participate
- Support young women to attend. Help them get to the event or take off school or organize their own efforts.
- Volunteer with OneBillionRising Pittsburgh
- Upload a youtube video about why you are rising (coming soon)
- Join a carpool
Consider the impact of your rising. What mark can you and those who rise with you leave behind in your community? Organize to change a law, get more funding for women’s programs, or model new non-violent ways of being in your city, office, or college.
With Liberation in Our Hearts,
Pittsburgh Rising 412.450.0290 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up on the National Site for the Pittsburgh Event